Favorites English(US) USD

[2023 ]72 Sightseeing Spots in Kyoto! Carefully selected from famous spots to hidden gems!

[2023 ]72 Sightseeing Spots in Kyoto! Carefully selected from famous spots to hidden gems!

2023-06-27

Kyoto Prefecture, which always ranks high on the list of popular tourist destinations in Japan, is full of attractive spots, including temples and shrines with long histories, walking trails rich in nature, and restaurants where you can enjoy Kyoto's gourmet cuisine. In this issue, the author, who has worked in the travel industry for seven years, introduces some of his recommendations for places to visit in Kyoto.

Table of Contents

    1. 4-6.

Around Gion and Higashiyama area

Gion and Higashiyama are popular among tourists because of the many temples and shrines that represent Kyoto, such as Kiyomizu Temple and Yasaka Shrine.
First, here are 13 recommended spots in the Gion and Higashiyama area.

Kiyosuji Temple



Kiyomizu-dera Temple is a popular tourist spot in Kyoto, visited by more than 5 million visitors annually.
Kiyomizu-dera has many attractions such as the beautifully colored Niomon Gate, the three-story pagoda, and the Otowa Falls "which is said to make wishes come true if drunk ". Of these, the main hall "and the Kiyomizu stage "are the most important not to be missed.
The view from the stage called Kinyunkei is sure to captivate you no matter what season you visit.
The beautiful blue-white light that shines in spring, summer, and fall makes the scenery of Kyoto look even more fantastic.
After admiring the scenery, you should definitely check out the area below the stage. The stage is built without using any nails, using the "jigokudome" method! The view from the stage is wonderful, but you will experience a different kind of excitement under the stage.

"Facility Information "
Address: 〒605-0862 1-294 Shimizu, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto
Phone number: 075-551-1234
Opening time: 6:00~
*Closing time varies depending on the period.
Admission: Adult: 400 yen, Junior high school and elementary school students: 200 yen
Closed: None
URL:https://www.kiyomizudera.or.jp/

Landlord Shrine




Jishu Shrine is located on the left side of the road from Kiyomizu-no-butai to Otowa-no-taki Waterfall, and is known as one of the best love power spots in Kyoto.
Originally called Jishu-gongen-sha, the shrine was the Shinto shrine of Kiyomizu-dera Temple, but was made independent and renamed Jishu-jinja Shrine after the Shinto and Buddhism Separation Order of the Meiji period.
The main deity is Okuninushi no Mikoto. As a shrine dedicated to the god of marriage, there are many spots on the shrine grounds where you can receive happiness, such as "Ryouren-taikoku ", where you can receive happiness, and "Natte-taikoku ", where you can receive different blessings depending on where you stroke.
Especially popular among them is "the stone of love fortune telling ". It is said that if you walk from one stone to the other with your eyes closed, your love will be fulfilled.

"Facility Information "
Address: 〒605-0862 1-317 Shimizu, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto
Phone number: 075-541-2097
Opening hours:9:00~17:00
Admission: Free
Admission fee to Kiyomizu Temple is required separately.
Closed: None
URL:https://www.jishujinja.or.jp/

Gautaiji Temple



Kodaiji Temple was opened by Toyotomi Hideyoshi's wife, Kita Masasho (Nene, after she left the family, Kogetsu Nun of Kodai-in) to pray for Hideyoshi's repose.
The garden on the grounds was created by Enshu Kobori and is known as one of the most representative gardens of the Momoyama period. Every spring, summer, and fall, the garden is open for special nighttime viewing, and the Hojo-mae garden "and the Hashinniwa garden "offer a beautiful sight with project mapping and music.
Another highlight is the "Otamaya (Reiya) "where Kita Masasho is laid to rest. The wooden statues of Hideyoshi and Kita Masasho enshrined inside, as well as the elegant maki-e lacquer-work on the platform and the kitchen, are a must-see.
In the back of the Reiya, there are important cultural assets such as "Ugatei "and "Shiguretei "tea rooms that were moved from Fushimi Castle, as well as "Omote-mon (front gate) "and "Kangetsudai "that are said to be the remains of Fushimi Castle.

"Facility Information "
Address: 〒605-0825 Kyoto City, Higashiyama-ku, Takadaiji, Shimokawara-cho 526
Phone number: 075-561-9966
Opening hours: 9:00-17:30
The front door material:Adults...600yen, middle school students...250yen
Elementary school students and younger are exempt from paying the entrance fee if accompanied by an adult guardian.
Closed: None
URL:https://www.kodaiji.com/

Nichinenzaka and Sannenzaka




Nichinenzaka and Sannenzaka are stone steps and stone-paved paths leading from Kiyomizu-zaka to Ishin-no-michi.
Although so named because it was completed in the 2nd or 3rd year of the Daido Period (early Heian Period), Sannenzaka is also called Sanneizaka, because it was a path taken by people who went to pray for the safe delivery of their child at the Kannon (Goddess of Mercy) located within the precincts of Kiyomizu Temple.
Both sides of the street are lined with souvenir shops, antique stores selling Kiyomizu-yaki ceramics, and sweet shops offering Kyoto sweets. It is one of the most exciting walking paths in Kyoto.
Kiyomizu-dera Temple, Kodai-ji Temple, and other sightseeing spots are located nearby, so why not stop by on your way home from a visit to the temple?

"Facility Information "
Address: 〒605-0862 Shimizu 2, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto-shi, Kyoto

Chion-in



Chion-in Temple was built in connection with Honen Shonin, the founder of the Jodo sect of Buddhism.
The main attractions are the Sanmon Gate, one of the largest in Japan, and the Gokaido Hall, which enshrines the principal image of Honen Shonin. The Mikageido in particular has just undergone a major repair in 2020, and its brightly colored myosho frames and beautifully shining banners (flags decorating the Buddhist temple) can be seen.
If you go to Chion-in, you should also see the Seven Wonders of Chion-in, which have been handed down from generation to generation.
Some of them cannot be seen during certain periods, but most of the Seven Wonders can be seen.
You can always find "Left Jingoro's Forgotten Umbrellas "behind the eaves in front of the Mikado and "Uryuishi "on the street at the top of the climb to the Kuromon, so please check them out when you visit.

"Facility Information "
Address: 〒605-8686 400 Hayashita-cho, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto City
Phone number: 075-531-2111
Opening hours: Varies according to the time of year (closing time is 16:00)
The front of the kanban:Adults...500yen, small people...250yen
*Common ticket price for Yuzen Garden and Hojo Garden
Closed: None
URL:https://www.chion-in.or.jp/

Yasaka Shrine



"Yasaka Shrine, popularly known as Gion-san ", is the head shrine of more than 3,000 Gion shrines throughout Japan. The main deity is Susano-no-mikoto, who is believed to be beneficial for the eradication of plague and good health.
The most notable feature is the main hall, which was designated a National Treasure in 2020. The main hall of Yasaka Shrine has a unique architectural style in which the main hall and the worship hall are covered by one large roof.
Yasaka Shrine is also famous for "Gion Festival ", one of the three major festivals in Japan. The Yamaboko floats parading through the city to the accompaniment of Konchikichin, Konchikichin, Konchikichin are a powerful sight to behold.
The Gion Festival runs from July 1 to 31 every year, with Yoiyama (the first festival) held from July 14 to 16 and Yoiyama (the second festival) from July 21 to 23.

"Facility Information "
Address: 〒605-0073 625 North side of Gion-cho, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto
Phone number: 075-561-6155
Hours (Social Affairs Office): 9:00 - 17:00
Admission: Free
Closed: None
URL:https://www.yasaka-jinja.or.jp/

Jianren Temple



Kenninji Temple was the first Zen temple in Japan, founded in 1202, and is the head temple of the Kenninji School of the Rinzai sect of Zen Buddhism, which ranks third among the five temples of Kyoto.
In the precincts of the temple, from the Imperial Gate with arrow marks from the war on its pillars and doors, there is a straight line of three gates, the Dharma Hall, and the Hojo, and the bathhouse for Zen practice is also still in existence.
Also famous are the National Treasure "The Wind and Thunder Gods ", known as Tawaraya Sotatsu's masterpiece, and "The Twin Dragons "by Koizumi Jun, dedicated to commemorate the 800th anniversary of the founding of Kenninji Temple.
At Ryosokuin, one of the pagoda temples, it is possible to experience Zen meditation. The experience is divided into three steps, and depending on the course, you may also clean the temple and have tea.
The courses offered for the zazen experience vary from day to day, so if you are interested, please check the official website before you go.

"Facility Information "
Address: 〒605-0811 584 Komatsu-cho, Yamato-Oji-dori Shijo, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto
Phone number: 075-561-6363
Opening hours:10:00~17:00
Admission: Adults - 600 yen, Junior high school and high school students - 300 yen, Elementary school students - 200 yen
*Free for children under elementary school age
Closed: April 20, June 5, and November 15
Other days may be suspended due to legal requirements.
URL:https://www.kenninji.jp/

Maruyama Park



Maruyama Park was opened in 1886 and is the oldest park in Kyoto. The total area is approximately 90,000 square meters.
It is one of the best cherry blossom viewing spots in Kyoto, and is especially famous for "Gion no Yozakura (night cherry blossoms) ", commonly known as the Gion no Yozakura (night cherry blossoms) in the center of the park. This is the second generation of the Hitoe Shiro Higan Shidare-zakura, a single white higan weeping cherry tree.
Seeds collected from the first generation, Gion night cherry were grown in the field and planted at the present location in 1949, two years after the first generation died.
When the cherry blossoms are in bloom, the area is lit up and visitors can enjoy the beautiful nighttime cherry blossoms for one to two weeks.
The park also has statues of Ryoma Sakamoto and Shintaro Nakaoka, an open-air music hall, and tea stores, making it a pleasant place to stroll even outside the cherry blossom season.

"Facility Information "
Address: 〒605-0071 Tsuburayama-cho, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto
Phone number (Kyoto City Urban Greenery Association): 075-561-1778
Liberation time: 24 hours
Admission: Free
Closed: None
URL:https://kyoto-maruyama-park.jp/

Along the Kamo River



The Kamo River is a 23-kilometer-long river that flows through the eastern part of Kyoto.
Together with the Katsura River, which flows on the west side of the city, it is known as one of the representative rivers of Kyoto City, and is a favorite recreational spot not only for locals but also for tourists.
From Gojo Street to Demachiyanagi, where it splits into the Takano River and the Kamo River, there are as many as 20 bridges, including the famous Sanjo Ohashi, the last stop of the 53 Stages of the Tokaido, and Gojo Ohashi, where a stone statue is placed in honor of the legend of Benkei and Ushiwakamaru.
The recommended season is summer. During this time of year, the Kamogawa Noryokudoko, where food is served in tatami rooms, is held, making it ideal for those who want to enjoy the summer in Kyoto.
Also, aim for August 16, when the Gozan bonfires are lit. From the Kamo River, you can see the characters "and "floating in the Higashiyama mountains.

National Museums



The Kyoto National Museum opened in 1897 under the name of the Imperial Museum of Kyoto.
Originally established to entrust and protect treasures inherited from temples and shrines, the museum now houses and exhibits many national treasures and important cultural properties, as well as sculptures, paintings, ceramics, and other artifacts related to Kyoto.
The Renaissance-style red brick building on the site is "Meiji Ancient Capital Building (formerly the main building of the Imperial Museum of Kyoto) "and was designed in 1895 by the famous architect of the time, Tokuma Katayama.
The front gate (west gate) was also designed by Katayama and is designated as an important cultural property along with the Meiji Ancient Capital Museum.
Another highlight of the Kyoto National Museum is its outdoor exhibits. The gardens include "Umamachi 13-story stone tower "and Rodin's sculptures "The Thinker ".

"Facility Information "
Address: 527 Chaya-cho, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto, 605-0931, Japan
Phone number: 075-525-2473
Hours of operation: Varies depending on the period of the event.
Admission: Varies depending on the period of the event.
Closed: Mondays (if Monday is a national holiday, the museum will be open on Monday and closed the following Tuesday), Year-end and New Year holidays
URL:https://www.kyohaku.go.jp/jp/

Thirty-three Halls



Sanjusangendo was built in 1165 by Emperor Go-Shirakawa at the order of Taira no Kiyomori.
Although its official name is Rengeoin, it is called Sanjusangendo because of the 33 spaces between the pillars of the hall.
The hall is approximately 120 meters long. Inside the hall, there are 500 standing statues of the thousand-armed Kannon enshrined on each side, centering on the seated statue of the thousand-armed Kannon, a national treasure, created by Unkei's eldest son, Tankei.
Each standing statue is about 16 centimeters tall, but each has a different face and clothing pattern, and it is said that there is always a statue that resembles the person you want to meet.
Behind the hall, there is a "thru-arrow" shooting range, where you can see arrow wounds from "thru-arrows ", which were very popular in the Edo period (1603-1868). You can even see a single arrow stuck in the roof's sheathing.

"Facility Information "
Address: 657 Sanjusangendo-machi, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto, 605-0941, Japan
Phone number: 075-561-0467
Opening hours:8:30~17:00
9:00-16:00 from November 16 to March
Admission: Adults - 600 yen, Junior high school and high school students - 400 yen, Children - 300 yen
Closed: None
URL:http://www.sanjusangendo.jp/

Tofukuji Temple



Tofukuji Temple is the fourth largest temple of the Tofukuji School of the Rinzai sect of Zen Buddhism in Kyoto.
The temple was built by Doie Kujo over a period of 19 years from 1236 as a family temple of the Kujo family, and was named Tofukuji Temple after Todaiji Temple and Kofukuji Temple in Nara.
Although much of the building was destroyed by fire in 1881, the Sanmon gate dates from the early Muromachi period and is the oldest Sanmon in Japan.
The main hall is not open to the public, but if you look in from the outside, you will see a standing statue of Shakyamuni Buddha and a dragon on the ceiling, which was painted by Impressionist Domoto in only 16 days.
From Tsutenkyo Bridge, visitors can view Sengyokukan, a ravine that runs through the temple grounds, and enjoy the fresh greenery in spring and the magnificent autumn leaves in fall.

"Facility Information "
Residence:
Phone:
Hours: April to October ... 9:00-16:00, November to the first Sunday in December ... 8:30-16:00, the first Monday in December to March ... 9:00-15:30
The front door is 1,000 yen for adults and 500 yen for children.
Common ticket for Tofukuji Temple's Honbo Garden, Tsutenkyo Bridge, and Kaisando-Hall
*November 10 to November 30 is an extra charge.
Closed: None
URL:https://tofukuji.jp/

Chuenchong Temple



Sennyuji Temple is the head temple of the Sennyuji School of Shingon Buddhism.
It is said that Kukai built a hermitage in the early Heian period (794-1185), and the temple was later named Sennyu-ji Temple after a spring that gushed out from the temple grounds.
The best place to visit is "Yang Gui Hui Kannon Hall (Yang Gui Hui Kannon Hall) ". The temple is dedicated to Yang Gui Hui Kannon, who represents one of the three most beautiful women in the world, Yang Gui Hui.
The temple was introduced to Japan in 1255, and for a long time it was a secret Buddhist temple that was opened only once every 100 years.
It is believed to be beneficial for praying for beauty and for marriage, and is currently particularly popular among young women.

"Facility Information "
Address: 〒605-0977 Kyoto-shi, Higashiyama-ku, Izumiyuji Yamauchi 27
Phone number: 075-541-3916
Hours: March - November ... 9:00 - 16:30, December - February ... 9:00 - 16:00
Admission: Adults - 500 yen, Elementary and junior high school students - 300 yen
Closed: None
URL:https://mitera.org/

Around Kyoto Station

The Kyoto Station area is full of sightseeing spots of different genres, from historic temples to aquariums to cafes where you can enjoy Kyoto sweets! Here are 8 recommended spots around Kyoto Station.

Kyoto Station



Kyoto Station is a stop for JR Tokai, JR West, Kintetsu, and Kyoto Subway lines in Shimogyo-ku.
It was opened in 1877. The first Kyoto Station, built at that time, was a two-story red brick building located approximately 140 meters north of the current Kyoto Station.
The second generation was built in the wooden Renaissance style, the third in reinforced concrete, and the current fourth generation was completed in 1997.
With the Shinkansen bullet train to the south, Kintetsu to the southwest, and subway to the east, the Kyoto Station Building is a complex of restaurants, department stores, hotels, museums, and theaters.
On the rooftop, there is a free observation deck "and a large sky plaza "where you can enjoy a panoramic view of the city of Kyoto, including Kyoto Tower and Nijo Castle.

"Facility Information "
Address: Higashioshioji-cho, Shimogyo-ku, Kyoto, 600-8214, Japan
Phone number: 0570-00-2486
Business hours (Midori-no madoguchi): 6:30 - 21:00
URL (Kyoto Station Building): https: //www.kyoto-station-building.co.jp/


Kyoto Tower




Kyoto Tower, built in 1964, is a 131-meter tower located in front of Kyoto Station.
The image of Kyoto, with its many historic temples and shrines, and the red and white color scheme may lead people to mistakenly believe that it was created with the image of a candle, but in fact, the motif is a lighthouse, which is meant to quietly illuminate the city of Kyoto, which has no sea.
From the observation deck 100 meters above ground level, visitors can enjoy a 360-degree view of Kyoto and learn about the city's topography, including its historical buildings and surrounding mountains, directly from the observation deck.
In addition, Kyoto Tower is illuminated at night, and during awareness activities, the tower can be seen glowing in different colors than usual, such as pink and yellow-green.

"Facility Information "
Address: 721-1 Higashishiokoji-cho, Shichijo-sagaru, Karasuma-dori, Shimogyo-ku, Kyoto, 600-8216, Japan
Phone number: 075-361-3215
Office hours (observation room): 10:00 - 21:00
*Subject to change without notice
Admission (observation deck): Adults - 900 yen, High school students - 700 yen, Elementary and junior high school students - 600 yen, Infants (3 years and older) - 200 yen
*Free for children under 3 years old
Closed: None
URL:https://www.kyoto-tower.jp/

Higashi Hongwanji Temple



Higashi Honganji Temple is the head temple of the Shinshu Otani sect and is a historic temple where the Gokagei of Shinran Shonin, the founder of the Jodo Shin sect, is enshrined. It is familiar to locals as "Ohto-san ".
The temple was founded in 1602. It is said that Kyonyo Shonin, the 12th head of Honganji Temple, received a donation of land from Tokugawa Ieyasu, at which time Higashi Honganji and Nishi Honganji were split off.
Since the Great Fire of Tenmei in 1788, it has suffered four fires, and most of the current buildings were rebuilt in 1895.
The main attraction is the Mikageido, located in the center of the temple grounds. With a front of 76m, sides of 58m, and a height of 38m, it is one of the largest wooden structures in the world and was designated as an Important Cultural Property in 2019.
The Mikado-mon Gate is also one of the world's largest wooden gates, and is said to be the tallest double gate of wooden construction in Japan.

"Facility Information "
Address: 〒600-8505 Umaru-dori Shichijo Kamaru, Shimogyo-ku, Kyoto City
Phone number: 075-371-9210
Opening hours: March-October ... 5:50-17:30, November-February ... 6:20-16:30
Admission: Free
Closed: None

Nishi Hongwanji Temple



Nishi Hongwanji Temple is the head temple of the Hongwanji School of Jodo Shinshu and is known as "Onishi-san ".
In the early Kamakura period (1185-1333), Kakushinni, daughter of Shinran Shonin, opened the Otani Mausoleum in Higashiyama, and in 1591, Hideyoshi Toyotomi donated land for the temple and it was moved to its current location.
The grounds of the temple are home to numerous national treasures, including the Mikado and Amida Halls, Hounkaku, one of the three most famous temples in Kyoto along with Kinkakuji and Ginkakuji, the North Noh Stage, said to be the oldest existing Noh stage, and the gorgeous Karamon Gate, which symbolizes the Momoyama Period.
It also houses a number of important cultural properties such as the Mikado Gate and the Taiko Tower, as well as many calligraphies and paintings, making it an outstanding place to visit.

"Facility Information "
Address: Honganji-monzenmachi, Hanayacho-sagaru, Horikawa-dori, Shimogyo-ku, Tokyo 600-8501
Phone number: 075-371-5181
Opening hours:5:30~17:00
*Varies depending on the season.
Admission: Free
Closed: None

Higashiji



Toji Temple is a national temple that was built with the relocation of the capital to Heian period (794-1192).
It was one of the temples established on the east and west sides of Rajomon, the gateway to Heian-kyo, and later became the fundamental center of Shingon Esoteric Buddhism by Kobo-Daishi Kukai, who studied Esoteric Buddhism and returned to Japan.
The five-story pagoda, a familiar symbol of To-ji Temple, was rebuilt in 1644 with a donation from Tokugawa Iemitsu, and stands 55 meters tall, the tallest existing pagoda in Japan.
The Kondo and Main Lecture Halls are also designated national treasures along with the five-story pagoda. The Kondo houses Yakushi Nyorai, Nikko Bosatsu, Gekko Bosatsu, and the Twelve Divine Generals, while the Main Lecture Hall houses 21 Buddhist statues, including Dainichi Nyorai and the Five Great Myo'os.
Toji Temple is also famous for "Koboichi "held every month. On the 21st of each month, the anniversary of Kukai's death, many street vendors of daily necessities, plants, and antiques gather on the temple grounds.

"Facility Information "
Address: 1 Kujo-cho, Minami-ku, Kyoto, 601-8473
Phone number: 075-691-3325
Opening hours:5:00~17:00
*Hours of visitation vary depending on the building.
Admission: Free to visit the Mikageido, dining hall, etc.
Closed: None

Kyoto Aquarium



Kyoto Aquarium is an inland aquarium located in Umekoji Park. "The closer you get, the more you will love it. "The aquarium opened in 2012 under the concept of
In addition to penguins, dolphins, fur seals, and other familiar aquarium creatures, a major feature of the aquarium is the chance to encounter creatures unique to Kyoto.
On the first floor, there are zones that reproduce the sea, satoyama, and rivers of Kyoto. In the large water tank ", consisting of approximately 500 tons of artificial seawater, visitors can see approximately 50 species of creatures swimming at their leisure in the Sea of Kyoto "zone.
On the second floor, the "Yamashisuimei "zone exhibits creatures connected to Mizorogaike Pond in the northern part of the city, Ogura Pond in the southern part of Kyoto, and Lake Biwa. Visitors can learn about the history of Kyoto as a city of water.

"Facility Information "
Address: 35-1 Kankiji-cho, Shimogyo-ku, Kyoto City, 600-8835, Japan
Phone number: 075-354-3130
Hours of operation: Varies depending on the day.
Admission: General - 2,400 yen, High school students - 1,800 yen, Elementary and junior high school students - 1,200 yen, Infants (3 years and older) - 800 yen
Closed: None

Kyoto Railway Museum



The Kyoto Railway Museum is located in Umekoji Park, as is the Kyoto City Aquarium.
Originally a railroad museum specializing in steam locomotives called Umekoji Steam Locomotive Museum, it was reopened in 2016 with new facilities and exhibits.
The museum preserves and exhibits 54 valuable cars that led the modernization of Japan, from steam locomotives to bullet trains, and you can even experience a steam train ride on a real steam train at the SL boarding area.
The museum also has a hands-on corner where visitors can purchase tickets and insert their tickets into the ticket gate machine. The ticket gate at the Kyoto Museum is skeletonized so that visitors can see inside and learn how the ticket works inside the ticket gate.
In addition, there is a driving simulator and a section with a real railroad crossing.

"Facility Information "
Address: Kankiji-cho, Shimogyo-ku, Kyoto, 600-8851, Japan
Phone number: 0570-080-462
Opening hours:10:00~17:00
Admission: General - 1,500 yen, High school and university students - 1,300 yen, Elementary and junior high school students - 500 yen, Infants (3 years and older) - 200 yen
Closed: Wednesdays, Year-end and New Year holidays (12/30 - 1/1), etc.
*Open on national holidays, spring vacation, summer vacation, etc.

MACCHA HOUSE Matchakan Kyoto Kawaramachi

MACCHA HOUSE Matcha House is a café that opened as a reimportation to Japan of a matcha specialty restaurant that has attracted attention through its overseas expansion in Singapore and Hong Kong.
The Kyoto Kawaramachi store opened in 2015 as the first store in Japan. Since then, the store has become so popular that customers line up every day.
As a specialty matcha store, the restaurant offers a wide variety of menu items using matcha from Kyoto's long-established "Morihan "!
The most popular of all is the "Uji Matcha Tiramisu ", which offers a perfect combination of rich mascarpone and matcha green tea, and the style of serving it in a white wooden square is very Kyoto-like and very popular on SNS.
Those who want to taste Kyoto sweets and those who love matcha tea should definitely stop by in between sightseeing in Kyoto.

"Facility Information "
Address: 382-2 Yoneyacho, Shijo-Agaru, Kawaramachi-Dori, Nakagyo-ku, Kyoto 604-8026
Phone number: 075-253-1540
Business hours: 11:00 - 20:00
Closed: None
URL:https://maccha-house.com/

Around Okazaki and Philosopher's Path

The area around Okazaki and Philosopher's Path is full of places where you can feel the atmosphere of Kyoto.
While sightseeing by bus or train is an option, we recommend taking a relaxing walk around this area and feeling the nature. Here we introduce six recommended spots around Okazaki and Philosopher's Path.

Ginkakuji Temple



Ginkakuji Temple is a Zen temple belonging to the Shokokuji school of Rinzai Zen Buddhism, and its official name is Jishoji Temple.
Ashikaga Yoshimasa, the 8th shogun of the Muromachi Shogunate, built Toyama-den, a mountain villa, to live in seclusion, following the example of his grandfather Yoshimitsu's Kinkaku-ji Temple.
The Kannon-den, the symbol of Ginkakuji, is built in two different styles: the first level, Shinku-den, is in the Shoin style, while the second level, Chao-on-gaku, is in the Tang-style Buddhist temple style.
You can take a closer look at the Ginkaku up close, but the Ginsanada in front of the Hojo "Ginsanada ""Ginsanada over the Kangetsudai "is even more elegant and recommended.
It is said that the rippled Ginshadanada was designed to reflect moonlight, and the Fuji-shaped Mangetsudai was built to view the moon rising over Mt.

"Facility Information "
Address: 2 Ginkakuji-cho, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8402
Phone number: 075-771-5725
Opening hours: March to November...8:30 to 17:00, December to February...9:00 to 16:30
Admission: Adults: 500 yen, Elementary and junior high school students: 300 yen
Closed: None

road of philosophy



Philosopher's Path is the name of a 1.8-kilometer-long trail that runs along the Biwako Canal from Ginkakuji Temple to Wakaoji Shrine, and is one of the most popular walking courses in Kyoto.
Originally called "Lane of Contemplation ", it became the official name of the Philosophical Path in 1972.
The name "Philosophy Path" is said to have originated from the philosopher Kitaro Nishida and his disciples, Gen Tanabe and Kiyoshi Miki, who strolled along this path while indulging their speculations.
It is also a popular spot to enjoy cherry blossoms and autumn foliage, and many people come to stroll the area every season. During the rainy season, genji botaru (Japanese fireflies) and heike botaru (fireflies) can also be seen.
In the middle of the road, there is a stone monument inscribed with the famous words of Kitaro Nishida: "People are people, I am me, and in any case, I am the way I am going ".

"Facility Information "
Address: Jodoji-Shimonanda-cho, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8404, Japan
Phone number (Philosophical Path Preservation Association): 075-761-1944

Nanzen Temple



Nanzenji Temple is the head temple of the Nanzenji school of the Rinzai sect of Zen Buddhism, and is ranked as one of the five highest temples in Kyoto. 1291, the temple was founded by Emperor Kameyama with Museki Fumon (Daimeikokuji) as its founder.
"Sanmon, also called Tenka Ryumon ", was rebuilt in 1628 and is one of the three great gates in Japan, along with the Sanmon of Tofukuji Temple and Kuonji Temple in Yamanashi Prefecture.
The brick arch bridge at the far end of the temple is called Suijikaku, an aqueduct over the Lake Biwa estuary, and is the most popular photo spot at Nanzenji.
Nanzenji Temple is also famous for its delicious tofu, so much so that it is introduced in a Kyoto cuisine counting song as "Nanzenji Temple, famous for its tofu ".
Nanzenji Junsho Tofu Restaurant "Nanzenji Junsho ", located a 5-minute walk from Nanzenji Temple, offers a variety of tofu dishes, including the Kyoto specialty, yudofu.

"Facility Information "
Address: 〒606-8435 Nanzenji Fukuchi-cho, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto
Phone number: 075-771-0365
Opening hours: March - November ... 8:40 - 17:00, December - February ... 8:40 - 16:30 8:40-17:00, December-February ... 8:40-16:30
Admission: Free
Hojo Garden, Sanmon Gate and Nanzen-in Temple are chargeable.
Closed: No general admission at the end of the year (December 28-31)

Heian Shrine



Heian Jingu Shrine was built in 1895 to commemorate the 1,100th anniversary of the relocation of the capital to Heian-kyo. The deities are Emperor Kammu, the first emperor of the Heian Capital, and Emperor Komei, the last emperor.
The shrine pavilions are approximately five-eighths scale reproductions of the Chodoin, the main building of the Heian-kyo capital founded by Emperor Kammu, and include Daigoku-den, Souryu-ro, Byakko-ro, and other architectural beauties unique to the Heian period.
About 300 meters south of the Otenmon Gate, which is modeled after the Otenmon Gate of Chodoin, is the Otorii Gate, built as a commemorative project for the Emperor Showa's Imperial Reign, and a landmark in the city of Okazaki.
The Otorii gate is approximately 24 meters high and the columns are approximately 3.6 meters in diameter, making it the largest in Japan when it was first built.
Here, one of the three major festivals in Kyoto "Era Festival "is held every year on October 22.

"Facility Information "
Address: 97 Okazaki Nishitenno-cho, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8341
Phone number: 075-761-0221
Opening hours:6:00~18:00
Admission: Free
*Shinen is chargeable.
Closed: Closed only on the afternoon of October 22

Okazaki Park



Okazaki Park is an urban park built on the site of the 4th National Industrial Exhibition held in 1895.
Established in 1904, it is now a cultural zone with an art museum, library, Kyoto Municipal Industrial Museum, and Rohm Theater Kyoto.
Opened in 1996 as part of a project to commemorate the 1200th anniversary of the Kyoto Prefectural Capital, Miyako Messe at the Kyoto Municipal Industrial Hall hosts exhibitions and events for a variety of industries, including traditional industries.
The Kyoto Kaikan, located just across the street, reopened in 2016 as the Rohm Theater Kyoto. As a venue for the creation and dissemination of culture and the arts, concerts by artists and citizens are held here.
Also popular in this area is the Jyusekibune (ten-stone boat) tour, a springtime tradition. Visitors can enjoy a relaxing view of the beautiful rows of cherry trees as they sail along the Lake Biwa waterway.

"Facility Information "
Address: Okazaki Saikyoji-cho, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8342, etc.
Phone number (Cultural and Civic Affairs Bureau): 075-222-3119
Liberation time: 24 hours
Admission: Free
Closed: None

Kyoto City Zoo



Located in Okazaki Park, Kyoto City Zoo is the second oldest zoo in Japan, founded in 1903 to commemorate the marriage of Emperor Taisho, and celebrating its 120th anniversary in 2023.
The museum was renovated in 2009 and 2015, and now houses and exhibits more than 500 animals of about 120 species.
The seven main areas of the park are: "Grasslands of Africa ""Gorilla's Home - Forest Habitat ""Kyoto Forest ""Mouju World ""Tropical Zoo of Light, Water and Green ""Elephant Forest ""Fairyland "
One of the most popular of these is the gorilla house, where you can see the western gorilla, which is an endangered species.
Currently, there are a total of four gorillas in captivity. The sight of the family spending time together in a relaxed atmosphere is sure to soothe you.

"Facility Information "
Address: Okazaki Hoshoji-cho, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8333, Japan
Phone number: 075-771-0210
Hours: Mar-Nov ... 9:00-17:00, Dec-Feb ... 9:00-16:30
Admission: General ... 750 yen
Free for junior high school students and younger
Closed: Mondays (or the following weekday if Monday is a national holiday), year-end and New Year holidays (December 28 - January 1)

Kyoto Gyoen and Nijo Castle area

The area around the Kyoto Imperial Palace and Nijo Castle is the central area of Kyoto, known as Rakuchu. The streets are laid out like a grid, and the area is full of famous spots that have left their mark on history! Here are 10 recommended spots around the Kyoto Imperial Palace and Nijo Castle.

Kyoto Gyoen



Kyoto Gyoen is a national park with an area of approximately 63 hectares, bounded by Karasuma Dori, Imadegawa Dori, Teramachi Dori, and Marutamachi Dori.
The Kyoto Imperial Palace, often referred to as the Kyoto Imperial Palace by locals, refers to the imperial residence of successive emperors from the Heian Period to the Meiji Period, and the Kyoto Imperial Garden refers to the Kyoto Imperial Palace and a green area that includes the Kyoto Imperial Palace, Kyoto Grand Palace, Kyoto Sento Palace, and Kyoto State Guest House.
There are many attractions in the park, including "Hamagurigomon "and "Shusuitei ".
Located in the Imperial Palace, "Shishinden "is the most prestigious main building and is constructed in the Heian Period architectural style.
Rebuilt in 1855, the present-day Shikikinden Hall has hosted the accession ceremonies of the three emperors of the Meiji, Taisho, and Showa eras.

"Facility Information "
Address (Kyoto Gyoen Management Office): 3 Kyoto Gyoen, Kamigyo-ku, Kyoto, 602-0881, Japan
Telephone number (Kyoto Gyoen Management Office): 075-211-6348
Liberation time: 24 hours
*The Kyoto Imperial Palace and other facilities have limited hours of use.
Use of material: no material
Closed: None

Shimogamo Shrine



Shimogamo Shrine is located in the northeastern part of downtown Kyoto, near the confluence of the Kamo and Takano Rivers, and its official name is Kamomiooya Shrine.
There are two main shrines on the shrine grounds: the east main shrine enshrines Tamayorihime-no-Mikoto and the west main shrine enshrines Kamotaketsunumi-no-Mikoto.
Recommended spots are Kawai Shrine, a regent shrine, and Aioi-sha, a terminal shrine. Kawai Shrine is a popular shrine for praying for beauty and is famous for its mirror ema (votive tablet) for applying makeup.
Near the Aioisha Shrine, known as a power spot for marriage, there is a mysterious tree called "Renri-no-Kenkaki (連り?賢木) ", where two trees are joined together in the middle, which is also a highlight.

"Facility Information "
Address: 59 Shimogamo-Izumigawa-cho, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-0807
Phone number: 075-781-0010
Opening hours:6:30~17:00
Admission: Free
Closed: None

Nijo Castle



Nijo Castle was built in 1603 by Tokugawa Ieyasu to guard the Kyoto Imperial Palace and provide lodging for shoguns traveling to Kyoto. It is known as the site of many historical events, including the meeting between Ieyasu and Toyotomi Hideyori and the return of shogunate power by Tokugawa Yoshinobu.
With 33 rooms and over 800 tatami mats, "Ninomaru Goten "is a typical samurai-style shoin-style building, famous for its nightingale corridors that make a squeaky sound when walked upon, and barrier paintings by the Kano school.
Ninomaru Garden is one of the most representative shoin-style gardens of the Edo period, and was renovated by Enshu Kobori in 1626.
The Karamon Gate, which serves as the entrance to the Ninomaru Palace, was built on the occasion of Emperor Gosui's visit to the palace. It is the most prestigious shikyakumon (four-legged gate), and is decorated with gorgeous metal fittings and carvings as well as kurumayose.

"Facility Information "
Address: 〒604-8301 Kyoto City, Nakagyo-ku, Nijo-dori Horikawa Nishi-iru Nijojojojo-cho 541
Phone number: 075-841-0096
Entrance time: 8:45~16:00
Admission: General: 1,300 yen, Junior high school and high school students: 400 yen, Elementary school students: 300 yen
Closed: Year-end and New Year holidays (December 26-January 4), every Tuesday in July, August, December, and January

Nonseiji Temple



Mibudera Temple is the head temple of the Ritsu sect of Buddhism, known for the Setsubun Festival to ward off bad luck, Mibu Kyogen, and the temple associated with the Shinsengumi.
In 991, Kaiken Sosu, a monk of Mitsui Temple, built a hall here to enshrine Jizo Bosatsu (Ksitigarbha), and the temple was later named Mibudera Temple after the name of the place.
The shrine is widely worshipped as a Jizo Bosatsu (Jizo Bodhisattva) that prolongs life and ward off bad luck, and is crowded with worshippers during the annual Setsubun Festival in February.
In Setsubun, spring, and fall, Mibu Kyogen "is one of Kyoto's three major nenbutsu kyogen (Buddhist rites) along with Enmado Kyogen and Saga Dainenbutsu Kyogen ".
A bust of Isamu Kondo, director of the Shinsengumi, a hair tower, and the graves of the Shinsengumi members stand on the Mibu Mound in the precincts of the temple.


"Facility Information "
Address: 31 Mibu-Nashinomiya-cho, Nakagyo-ku, Kyoto 604-8821
Phone number: 075-841-3381
Opening hours:8:30~16:30
Admission: Free
*There is a fee for the Mibu Mound and the Historical Reference Room.
Closed: None

Haruaki Shrine



Seimei Shrine is dedicated to Abe no Seimei, a yin-yang master active in the Heian period (794-1185).
The shrine was founded in 1007. It is said that after Seimei's death, Emperor Ichijo built a shrine on the site of his residence to honor his achievements during his lifetime and to enshrine his spirit.
The shrine is known as a place of protection against bad luck, evil spirits, and healing from illness. "The pentagram ", a spell to ward off evil spirits invented by Seimei, is scattered throughout the shrine's precincts.
Beyond the Ichino-torii gate, there is the old Ichijo-gibashi bridge, which is said to be the resting place of the shikigami that Seimei treated as his retainer, and the "sun and moon pillars "that were once used as gateposts for the Shikigamon gate.
Also, past the second torii gate is the Seimei Well ", which is said to have been created by Seimei's psychic power. "Drinking the water from the well is said to bring blessings for healing illness.

"Facility Information "
Address: 〒602-8222 806 Haruaki-cho, Kamigyo-ku, Kyoto City
Phone number: 075-441-6460
Time:9:00~17:00
Admission: Free
Closed: None
Seimei Shrine is dedicated to Abe no Seimei, a yin-yang master active in the Heian period (794-1185).
The shrine was founded in 1007. It is said that after Seimei's death, Emperor Ichijo built a shrine on the site of his residence to honor his achievements during his lifetime and to enshrine his spirit.
The shrine is known as a place of protection against bad luck, evil spirits, and healing from illness. "The pentagram ", a spell to ward off evil spirits invented by Seimei, is scattered throughout the shrine's precincts.
Beyond the Ichino-torii gate, there is the old Ichijo-gibashi bridge, which is said to be the resting place of the shikigami that Seimei treated as his retainer, and the "sun and moon pillars "that were once used as gateposts for the Shikigamon gate.
Also, past the second torii gate is the Seimei Well ", which is said to have been created by Seimei's psychic power. "Drinking the water from the well is said to bring blessings for healing illness.

"Facility Information "
Address: 〒602-8222 806 Haruaki-cho, Kamigyo-ku, Kyoto City
Phone number: 075-441-6460
Time:9:00~17:00
Admission: Free
Closed: None

Xi Jin



Nishijin is the area around the intersection of Imadegawa Dori and Omiya Dori.
It is called Nishijin because Yamana Munezono of the Western Army set up his headquarters there against Hosokawa Katsumoto of the Eastern Army during the Onin War.
After the Onin War, the area flourished as a silk textile production center, and today it is still home to workshops that produce Nishijin brocade, a traditional Kyoto craft.
Near the Horikawa-Imadegawa intersection is the "Nishijin Textile Hall ", where you can see exhibits of Nishijin textiles, production demonstrations by craftspeople, and kimono shows.
Nishijin is also famous for its connection to tea, as the area is home to the head of a tea ceremony house. There are facilities nearby where visitors can experience Nishijin textiles and the tea ceremony, so those who wish to experience Kyoto culture are encouraged to take a stroll.

Honnoji



Honnon-ji Temple is the main temple of the Honmon school of the Lotus Sect, which promotes the teachings of Nichiren Shonin, the founder of the Lotus Sect (Nichiren Shoshu).
Oda Nobunaga, who aimed to unify Japan during the Warring States period, was struck by his vassal Akechi Mitsuhide "The Honnoji Incident "is well known, but at that time Honnoji was not located where it is today, but near the Shijo Horikawa River.
As a remnant of this, a stone monument to Honnoji Temple stands next to the Honnon Division of the Kyoto City Nakagyo Fire Brigade.
In 1591, it was moved to its present location by Toyotomi Hideyoshi, but was later destroyed by fire during the Great Fire of Tenmei and the Forbidden Gate Incident. The present main hall was rebuilt in 1928.
Within the precincts of the temple, there is a ginkgo tree that is said to have saved people by spewing water vigorously during the Great Fire of Tenmei "and a ginkgo tree that is said to have saved people by spewing water vigorously during the Great Fire of Tenmei "and a treasure hall that has passed through disasters and has been protected "and a large treasure hall "are displayed.

"Facility Information "
Address: 522 Shimo-Honnojimae-cho, Oike-sagaru, Teramachi-dori, Nakagyo-ku, Kyoto, 604-8091, Japan
Phone number: 075-231-5335
Opening hours:6:00~17:00
Admission: General: 500 yen, Junior high school and high school students: 300 yen, Elementary school students: 250 yen
Closed: Year-end and New Year holidays and exhibition change days

Kam Market



Nishiki Market is a bustling shopping street that serves as the kitchen of Kyoto and is a great spot for those who want to eat their way through the city.
It is said to have been established about 400 years ago during the Tensho period, and is known by the citizens of Kyoto as "Nishiki ".
The arcade, which extends 390 meters east to west, is lined with more than 130 stores selling Kyoto vegetables, yuba (bean curd), tofu, river fish, and other products.
A wide variety of fresh, high quality seasonal foods and rare foods that are rarely seen in supermarkets or department stores are available here, and almost all Kyoto-specific foods can be found here.
Nishiki Ichiba is a good place to eat and walk around, but eating and drinking while eating is prohibited. Purchased items can be eaten at eat-in spaces in stores, etc., so please enjoy eating while observing good manners.

"Facility Information "
Address: 609 Nishi-Oaza-cho, Nakagyo-ku, Kyoto 604-8055, Japan
Phone number: 075-211-3882

Kyoto International Manga Museum



The Kyoto International Manga Museum is located a two-minute walk from Karasuma-Oike Station and is the first manga museum in Japan.
It was established in 2006 for the purpose of researching and studying manga culture, which is highly regarded both in Japan and abroad, as well as collecting, preserving, and exhibiting manga as a resource.
The building was renovated from the former Kyoto Municipal Tatsuike Elementary School, which was closed down in 1995. The creaky corridors and tiled staircases are modern features of the building, which still retains its original appearance.
The museum houses approximately 300,000 items, including caricatures and ukiyoe prints from the Edo period, magazines from the Meiji to early Showa periods, and current popular works.
50,000 of these books are distributed on a total of 200 meters of bookshelves "Manga Wall "and can be read freely on the premises.

"Facility Information "
Address: 〒604-0846 Umaru-dori, Nakagyo-ku, Kyoto City
Phone number: 075-254-7414
Opening hours:10:30~17:30
Admission: Adults - 900 yen, Junior high school and high school students - 400 yen, Elementary school students - 200 yen
Closed: Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Year-end and New Year holidays
*Other closing days apply (please check the official website for details).

coffee shop madrague



Café Madlag is a coffee shop located a 5-minute walk from Nijojo-mae Station.
Popular menu items include the secret "Corona's egg sandwich "and Madlag's special "Teppan Neapolitan ".
The Corona egg sandwich is a menu item inherited from the Western restaurant "Corona ", which closed in 2012, and differs from most egg sandwiches in that it contains a plump, steamed omelette.
Teppan Neapolitan is also a standard coffee shop menu in the Tokai area, where the wife is from. It is a dish of Neapolitan fried with homemade ketchup and served with a half-boiled egg on a hot iron plate.
Both are hearty, so if you want to eat both, we recommend sharing with family or friends. The egg sandwiches can also be taken out with reservations made up to two days in advance.

"Facility Information "
Address: 〒604-0035 706-5 Kamimatsuya-cho, Nakagyo-ku, Kyoto City
Phone number: 075-744-0067
Business hours: 11:30 - *Finishes when all ingredients are gone.
Closed: Sunday

Around Kinkakuji Temple

The area around Kinkakuji Temple is known as a spot with many temples and shrines registered as World Heritage sites. It is also a popular spot for cherry blossom viewing, and is especially recommended for sightseeing in the spring. Here we introduce 6 recommended spots around Kinkakuji Temple.

Kinkakuji Temple



Kinkakuji Temple is officially known as Rokuonji Temple, which was converted from Kitayama-den, the mountain villa of Ashikaga Yoshimitsu, the third Muromachi Shogun, into a temple after his death.
The main attraction is the golden Shariden, or Golden Pavilion. The three-story Shariden is built in different architectural styles, with the first floor in the Shinden-zukuri style (Hosui-in), the second floor in the Buke-zukuri style (Chao-ondong), and the third floor in the Chinese-style Zen Buddhist style (Jyuri-teien).
The total number of gold leaves applied on the second and third layers is approximately 200,000. The gold leaf is five times thicker than usual, called quintuple foil.
Past the Shariden, you will find "Yongmun Waterfall ", where a koi fish stone is placed in reference to the Chinese legend of Xinglongmen, and "Yugui Pavilion ", known for its nantian floor pillars and hagi difference shelves, are also highlights.

"Facility Information "
Address: 1 Kinkakuji-cho, Kita-ku, Kyoto 603-8361
Phone number: 075-461-0013
Opening hours:9:00~17:00
Admission: Adults: 500 yen, Elementary and junior high school students: 300 yen
Closed: None

Yongan Temple



Ryoan-ji Temple is a Zen temple founded by Hosokawa Katsumoto, a military commander in the mid Muromachi period.
It was opened in 1450 at the site of Fujiwara Saneyoshi's villa by inviting Giten Gensho, a monk of Myoshinji Temple.
Hojo Garden is a famous karesansui (dry landscape garden) representing the Muromachi period (1336-1573), and is designated as a national historic site and a special place of scenic beauty.
One thing to note here is the number of stones placed in the garden. The stone garden at Ryoan-ji Temple has 15 stones of various sizes, but this is a mystery. However, this is a mystery.
There are many mysteries surrounding the stone garden at Ryoan-ji Temple, such as who created it and what their intentions were. Please check out the stone garden as well as the stone wash basin and Kagayoike Pond.

"Facility Information "
Address: 〒616-8001 Kyoto City, Ukyo-ku, Ryu-anji Goryo Shimocho 13
Phone number: 075-463-2216
Hours: March - November ... 8:00 - 17:00, December - February ... 8:30 - 16:30
Admission: Adults and high school students: 500 yen, elementary and junior high school students: 300 yen
Closed: None

Renhe Temple



Ninna-ji Temple is the head temple of the Omuro school of Shingon Buddhism, founded in 888 by the 59th Emperor Uda, following the will of his father, Emperor Mitsuko.
The temple had been headed by a member of the imperial family for generations since the mid-Heian period and boasted a high level of prestige, but most of the buildings were destroyed by fire during the Onin War in the Muromachi period (1336-1573). Later, Prince Kakushin requested the Shogunate to rebuild Ninna-ji Temple, and the temple was reconstructed by Tokugawa Iemitsu in 1634.
Within the precincts of the temple are Kondo, a relocated version of the Momoyama Period (1568-1600) Shikan-den (Imperial Palace) in Kyoto, Gokaido (a hall dedicated to Kobo Daishi), a five-story pagoda, and other structures.
Ninna-ji Temple is also famous for its cherry blossoms. In particular, the late-blooming Omuro-zakura cherry trees seen to the left of the central gate are exceptional! The cherry blossoms are so beautiful that many haiku poets, including Buson Yosa and Shonami Kuroyanagi, have composed poems about them, and the temple has been designated a national place of scenic beauty.

"Facility Information "
Address: 〒616-8092 33 Gomurodachi, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto City
Phone number: 075-461-1155
Hours: March - November ... 9:00 - 17:00, December - February ... 9:00 - 16:00
Admission: Free
*There is a fee for the Ninna-ji Gosho Garden, Reihokan, and Teahouse (free for high school students and younger).
Closed: None

Myoshinji Temple



Myoshinji Temple was founded in 1337 by Emperor Hanazono, who converted a detached palace in the area into a temple and invited Sekizan Keigen, the head temple of the Myoshinji School of Rinzai Zen Buddhism.
Although many buildings were destroyed by fire during the Onin War, they were rebuilt with the help of Katsumoto Hosokawa, Masamoto Hosokawa, and their sons, and subsequently flourished, earning the respect of warlords such as the Toyotomi and Tokugawa families.
The Dharma Hall, built in 1656, is designated as an Important Cultural Property, and the mirrored ceiling depicts Kano Tanyu's masterpiece "The Dragon of Happo Nyarami ".
Another highlight of Myoshinji Temple is the temple bell, the oldest inscribed bell in Japan. Famous for its superior shape and tone, "the yellow bell "is now enshrined in the Dharma Hall for preservation, and its tone can be heard on a CD.

"Facility Information "
Address: 1 Myoshinji-cho, Garden, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto, 616-8035, Japan
Phone number: 075-461-5226
Opening hours: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Dharma Hall and Grand Vault are open from 9:00 to 12:00 and 13:00 to 15:30.
Admission: Free
Dharma Hall and Grand Annex are chargeable.
Closed: None

Kitano Tenmangu Shrine




Kitano-Tenmangu Shrine is the head shrine of about 12,000 Tenjinsha and Tenmangu shrines throughout Japan.
The deity is Sugawara Michizane, a scholar and politician during the Heian period (794-1185). Known as the god of learning, the shrine is crowded with many student worshippers every year during the examination season.
There are many attractions in the precincts of the temple, including the main shrine built by Toyotomi Hideyori in 1602, the Sankomon Gate "with gorgeous carvings of sunrise, sunset, and crescent moon ", and the Nadegyo "which is said to grant only one wish if you stroke its head ".
In honor of the legend that Michizane left the capital with the poem ""When the east wind blows, smell the plum blossoms, for there is no master and spring is forgotten. ", about 1,500 plum trees of 50 varieties are planted on the grounds of the temple.
During the blooming season, the ume blossoms are lit up and can be seen beautifully illuminated.

"Facility Information "
Address: 〒602-8386 Bakuro-cho, Kamigyo-ku, Kyoto City
Phone number: 075-461-0005
Opening hours:7:00~17:00
Admission: Free
Closed: None

Kamigamo Shrine




Kamigamo Shrine, along with Shimogamo Shrine, is the oldest shrine in Kyoto, and its official name is Kamowakeikazuchi Shrine.
The entire vast grounds of the shrine, including the national treasures Honden and Gonden and 41 other important cultural properties, are registered as a World Heritage site.
The deity is Kamowaikazuchi no Okami, the Great God of Thunder. According to shrine legend, Kamowakazuchi descended from the mountain north-northwest of the main shrine in ancient times, and the foundation of the present shrine was laid in 678.
The temple is also famous for its autumn foliage, which turns the entire grounds red in the fall. In particular, the area around Narano creek, which flows through the precincts of the temple, is a perfect spot for viewing the autumn leaves.
Every year on May 15, "Aoi Matsuri (Kamo Festival) "is held together with Shimogamo Shrine, where a procession of people in Heian costume wearing hollyhock flowers can be seen parading through the city.

"Facility Information "
Address: 〒603-8047 339 Kamigamo Honzan, Kita-ku, Kyoto
Phone number: 075-781-0011
Hours (Social Affairs Office): 8:00~16:45
Admission: Free
Closed: None

Around Sagano and Arashiyama

Sagano and Arashiyama, which have long been beloved by the aristocrats of the Heian period (794-1192), are not only places where visitors can enjoy the scenery of the four seasons, but also spots where even small children can have fun, and temples and shrines that are popular as power spots.
Here are seven recommended places in the Sagano/Arashiyama area.

Toei Movie Village




Toei Kyoto Movie Village is a movie theme park built on the grounds of Toei's Kyoto Studio.
It opened in 1975 as a theme park where visitors can experience the world of movies and television through open sets, events, and attractions.
There are many facilities to visit in the village, including an open set that recreates an Edo town with a Japanese bridge, peasant houses, and row houses, and Meiji Street, where visitors can enjoy the high-colored, retro atmosphere of the Meiji period. Since the village is used as an actual filming location, visitors may be able to see behind-the-scenes filming of TV and movie scenes on certain days.
There are also a variety of facilities for both children and adults, including "the Ohata Trick Art Museum ", "the Karakuri Ninja House ", and "the Laser Mission Escape Castle ".

"Facility Information "
Address: 〒616-8586 Kyoto City, Ukyo-ku, Taishin Higashi Heeoka-cho 10
Phone number: 075-864-7716
Opening hours:9:00~17:00
*Varies depending on the season.
Admission: Adults ... 2,400 yen, Junior high school and high school students ... 1,400 yen, Children (3 years and older) ... 1,200 yen
Closed: Please check the official website

Arashiyama, Togetsu Bridge, Bamboo grove path



The Arashiyama area is one of the most famous sightseeing spots in Kyoto, known for its scenic beauty. Arashiyama is the name of a mountain about 380 meters above sea level, but it generally refers to the area on either side of the Wataratsukibashi Bridge.
Watarigetsukyo Bridge, a symbol of Arashiyama, is a 155-meter-long bridge spanning the Katsura River, and is a popular spot to enjoy the natural beauty of the four seasons throughout the year.
As for the name of the bridge, it is said to have originated in the old days when Emperor Kameyama praised "the bridge for its resemblance to the crossing of a full moon (it looks like a full moon is crossing the bridge) ".
Arashiyama is also famous for the bamboo grove path leading from Nonomiya Shrine to Okochi Villa. Both sides of the path are lined with beautiful bamboo groves, creating a tranquil and beautiful Kyoto atmosphere.

"Facility Details "
Address: Sagano-baba-cho, Tenryuji, Saga, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto 616-8384, Japan

Tianlong Temple



Tenryuji Temple is the head temple of the Tenryuji School of Rinzai Zen Buddhism, and its official name is Tenryu Shisei Zenji Temple.
The temple was founded in 1339. Ashikaga Takauji invited Muso Kunishi to open the temple as a memorial service for Emperor Godaigo.
During the Muromachi period (1336-1573), it occupied the first place in the Kyoto Gozan, but declined for a time due to the downfall of the Ashikaga family and the Onin War. It was later rebuilt with donations from Toyotomi Hideyoshi and the protection of the Edo shogunate, but most of the buildings were destroyed by fire during the wars of the Meiji Restoration.
The present buildings were reconstructed in 1899, and in the Dharma Hall you can see a painting of a dragon and clouds by the Japanese painter Matazo Kayama.
In addition, at the main entrance of the kuri (corridor), there is an impulse stand with "Daruma zu ", which is a symbol of Tenryuji Temple. The Daruma painting, with its unique touch, has a great impact! The store sells pin badges and clear files with the same painting, which are very popular among tourists.

"Facility Information "
Address: 68, Sagano-baba-cho, Tenryuji, Saga, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto 616-8385, Japan
Phone number: 075-881-1235
Hours of visitation: 8:30-17:00 (various halls open until 16:45)
Admission: High school students and older: 500 yen, elementary and junior high school students: 300 yen, preschool children: free
300 yen is added to the garden fee if you wish to visit the various halls.
Closed: Some days due to events, etc.

Arashiyama Monkey Park Iwatayama

Arashiyama Monkey Park Iwatayama is a tourist facility located on Iwata Mountain, one of the Arashiyama mountain range.
Researchers from Kyoto University began feeding the monkeys in 1954, and soon monkeys began to gather at Iwata-yama, which was opened to the public in 1957 as Arashiyama Monkey Park Iwata-yama (Iwata-yama Nature Amusement Park).
Currently, about 120 Japanese monkeys live in the park, and you can enjoy interacting with them under strict rules such as "not staring into the monkeys' eyes ""not touching them ". In spring and summer, you may see adorable baby monkeys!
Food is also sold for 100 yen per bag at the rest stop at the summit, where visitors can feed the monkeys.

"Facility Information "
Address: 61 Nakao Shimo-cho, Arashiyama, Nishikyo-ku, Kyoto-shi, Kyoto 616-0004, Japan
Phone number: 075-872-0950
Hours of operation: 9:00-16:00
*If the monkeys return to the mountains, the park closes early.
Admission: Adults - 600 yen, Children (4-15 years old) - 300 yen
Closed: Unscheduled holidays
*Closed in case of extremely bad weather conditions such as heavy rain, heavy snow, or typhoons.

Kegon-ji Temple (Suzumo-ji Temple)



Kegonji Temple was founded in 1723 by a learned monk named Houtan. When it was founded, it was a Kegon Buddhist temple, but in 1868 it was converted to a Zen temple belonging to the Rinzai sect of Zen Buddhism.
This temple is nicknamed "Suzumushiji Temple "because of the year-round chirping of bell bugs,
The Suzumushi Seppo (recitation of the teachings of the bell cricket) held in the Shoin is very popular.
At Suzumushi Seppo, you can listen to monks preaching to the sound of bell bugs. While some may have a formal image of sermonizing, the Suzumushi Seppo at Kegon Ji is characterized by a relaxed atmosphere with tea and snacks served.
The stories are also interesting, so if you go to the trouble of visiting the temple, why not listen to the sermon in addition to touring the temple grounds?

"Facility Information "
Address: 〒615-8294 31, Matsumuroujiya-cho, Nishikyo-ku, Kyoto
Phone number: 075-381-3830
Viewing hours:9:00~17:00
The front door material: adults... 500 yen, children (4 students to junior high school students)... 300 yen
Closed: None

Matsuo Taisha



Matsuo-taisha is one of the oldest shrines in Kyoto, dedicated to the deity Oyamakui, known as the god of alcohol, and Ichikishimahime-no-mikoto, who is believed to have divine virtues for prosperous business and increased financial fortune.
Originally, the object of worship was the Iwakura, a rock formation on the summit of Mt. Matsuo, but it is said that the Hata clan, who came to Japan, later came to worship Matsuo no Okami as the clan deity of their family.
Sake brewers have a strong faith in the shrine, and sake barrels dedicated from all over the country are lined up in front of the portable shrine storehouse on the south side of the hall of worship.
Also on the grounds is the Sake Museum ", which exhibits the sake brewing process, tools used, old sake labels, and a scroll depicting the god of sake. "is also available for free tours.

"Facility Information "
Address: 〒616-0024 3 Arashiyamomiya-cho, Nishikyo-ku, Kyoto
Phone number: 075-871-5016
Opening hours: 5:00-18:00
The garden and the God's Statue Museum are open from 9:00 to 16:00.
Admission: Free
*There is a fee for the garden and the God's Statue Museum.
Closed: None

Sagano - Kameoka



If you are planning to visit Arashiyama, you should not miss the Sagano Trolley Train and the Hozugawa River Rafting.
The Sagano Trolley Train is a sightseeing train that runs along the Hozugawa River valley from Saga to Kameoka. The distance traveled is 7.3 km one way. The train runs at a leisurely speed, allowing passengers to enjoy the natural beauty of the Hozugawa Valley for about 25 minutes.
On the other hand, the Hozu River cruise is a 16-kilometer boat ride down the mountain stream from Kameoka, the last stop on the trolley, to Wataratsukibashi Bridge in Arashiyama. The boat ride takes about 1.5 to 2 hours, depending on the season.
"I want to enjoy different scenery on the way there and back! "That is why most people combine the trolley train on the way there and the Hozugawa river cruise on the way back. Both of these options allow you to fully enjoy the beauty of the valley in each of the four seasons, so be sure to check them out.

"Facility information "Sagano Trolley Train
Address (Trolley Saga Station): Saga Tenryuji Kurumamido-cho, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto-shi, Kyoto 616-8373, Japan
Phone number (Sagano Railway): 075-861-7444

"Facility information "Hozugawa River cruise* Hozugawa Yusen Kigyo Kumiai
Address: 2 Shimonakajima, Hozu-cho, Kameoka-shi, Kyoto 621-0005
Phone number: 0771-22-5846

Ohara, Kurama, Kibune

Ohara, Kurama, and Kibune have long been known as the backwaters of Kyoto and are areas where much unspoiled nature remains.
The temperature is 3 to 5 degrees cooler than in the center of the city, attracting many tourists who enjoy the cooler temperatures in summer.
The following are three recommended spots in the Ohara, Kurama, and Kibune areas.

Sanchiin



Sanzen-in Temple is a Tendai sect temple located in Ohara, Kyoto. Although the exact date of its founding is not known, it is believed to have begun around the 8th century when Saicho, the founder of the Tendai sect, built a hall in the south valley of the East Pagoda when he established a hermitage on Mt.
The highlight is the statue of Amida Sanson enshrined in the Oujo Gokurakuin Temple. It is a rare work of art that uses a Buddhist statue to depict the "Raigo-zu "that depicts a person coming from the Paradise to welcome those who have passed away, and is designated as a National Treasure.
In addition, in order to accommodate the Amida sanzon, which is larger than the hall itself, the ceiling of the Oujo Gokurakuin Temple is folded up to form a boat-bottom shape. Another major feature of the temple is the depiction of the Pure Land of Paradise, including a celestial maiden dancing and the appearance of a bodhisattva. When you visit the temple, be sure to check out the Amida Sanson as well as the Amida Sanson.

"Facility Information "
Address: 〒601-1242 Kyoto City, Sakyo-ku, Ohara Onyin-cho 540
Phone number: 075-744-2531
Viewing hours:9:00~17:00
8:30-17:00 in November, 9:00-16:30 from December to February.
Admission: General: 700 yen, Junior high school and high school students: 400 yen, Elementary school students: 150 yen
Closed: None

Anmaji Temple



Kuramadera Temple is said to have been founded in 770 by Ganjeishonin, a disciple of Wajo Ganjin, and is the head temple of Kurama Kokyo.
It is also known as the place where Ushiwakamaru, the famous Minamoto no Yoshitsune, spent his life from the age of 7 to 16, and there are many spots in the mountain that are closely associated with him.
Among them, not to be missed are the Monjo-gatani and Kine-no-michi, where Ushiwakamaru is said to have learned swordsmanship from a tengu.
It is said that Ushiwakamaru trained his leaping ability here and jumped over eight ships during the Battle of Dannoura.
The walk to the area where Ushiwakamaru is said to have trained is a strenuous one, so we recommend that you wear sneakers or other comfortable walking shoes when you head out.

"Facility Information "
Address: 1074 Kurama Honmachi, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto, 601-1111
Phone number: 075-741-2003
Main hall opening:9:00~16:15
Aiyama fee:500yen
Closed (Reihouden): Tuesdays, winter (Dec. 12 - Feb.)

Kibune Shrine



Kifune Shrine is the head shrine of about 500 Kifune shrines throughout Japan, and its deity is Takakami-no-mikami, the god of water.
Although the year of its founding is unknown, the shrine is considered to have a very long history, as there is a record that the shrine was rebuilt in 666.
It is a long-standing custom to visit Kibune Shrine "and pay homage to the three shrines in turn: Hongu, Okumiya, and Yusha, ".
The main shrine has a "mizuyu mikuji "where you can divine your fortune by floating a piece of paper in the sacred water overflowing from the stone wall in front of the shrine building.
In addition, Okumiya Shrine, where a dragon hole is said to have once existed, is famous as one of the most powerful spots in Kyoto. The Yusha Shrine is reputed to be highly beneficial for romance, and the "knot-tying text "is especially popular for writing down requests for marriage.

"Facility Information "
Address: 180 Kurama Kibune-cho, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 601-1112
Phone number: 075-741-2016
Hours of visitation (shrine office): May-November ... 6:00-20:00, December-April ... 6:00-18:00
Admission: Free
Closed: None

Fushimi Area

Fushimi Ward is famous for the Fushimi Inari Taisha shrine, but it is also known as one of the best sake-producing areas in Japan, and memorial museums for sake brewers such as Gekkeikan and Kizakura are also popular tourist attractions.
Here are five recommended spots in the Fushimi area.

Fushimi Inari-taisha shrine (in Kyoto)



Fushimi Inari Taisha Shrine is an absolute must-see for sightseeing in the Fushimi area. It is the head shrine of about 30,000 Inari shrines throughout Japan and is locally known as "Inari-san ".
The shrine is said to have been established in 711, and has long been worshipped as the god of prosperous business, a good harvest, and family safety.
The biggest attraction is the Senbon-torii (a thousand torii gates) located at the rear of the main shrine. The actual number of torii gates is about 850, but they are called "Senbon-torii" because there are so many of them. There are also other torii gates dedicated by visitors to the shrine, totaling as many as 10,000 in all.
In addition, the pine tree at the end of the back shrine, which reads "waiting for a price increase ", has become a popular spot for securities firms and stock investors.

"Facility Information "
Address: 68 Fukakusa-Yabunouchi-cho, Fushimi-ku, Kyoto-shi, 612-0882, Japan
Phone number: 075-641-7331
Time:8:30~16:30
Admission: Free
Closed: None

Fushimi Momoyama Castle Sports Park



Fushimi Momoyama Castle Athletic Park was established in 2007 on the site of an amusement park "Fushimi Momoyama Castle Castle Land "that operated here until 2003.
The site area is approximately 91,000 square meters. The park has a baseball stadium and a multipurpose field where baseball, softball, soccer, lacrosse, and other sports can be played.
The main attraction, Fushimi Momoyama Castle, is a mock castle tower built when the amusement park was in operation, and although it is completely different from the Fushimi Castle built by Toyotomi Hideyoshi, it continues to be loved by citizens as a symbol of Fushimi.
Unfortunately, you cannot enter the castle tower due to earthquake resistance, but in spring, someiyoshino and red-edged drooping cherry trees bloom around the castle tower, providing a beautiful view.

"Facility Information "
Address: 45 Okura, Momoyama-cho, Fushimi-ku, Kyoto 612-0853
Phone number: 075-602-0605
Utilization time:6:00~21:00
*Depends on the facility used and the month of use.
Closed: Year-end and New Year holidays (December 29-January 3)

Laurel Crown Okura Memorial Hall



Gekkeikan Okura Memorial Museum is a corporate museum established in 1987 by Gekkeikan, a major sake brewing company.
The building is a remodeled sake brewery built in 1909 in the birthplace of Gekkeikan, and the museum is filled with materials that tell the history of sake brewing in Fushimi and the story of the challenges and creativity since the founding of Gekkeikan and its continuation to the present!
Visitors can learn about the history of sake by experiencing the sake brewing process in the Meiji era (1868-1912).
At the end of the tour, visitors can enjoy three types of sake tasting and receive a special boar cup with the Gekkeikan logo on it.
Visitors can enjoy a guided tour of the brewery by reservation (for a fee), including the experience of filling bottles with sake brewed in the brewery and tasting three types of sake (original sake) that can only be consumed on the guided tour.

"Facility Information "
Address: 247 Minamihama-cho, Fushimi-ku, Kyoto 612-8660
Phone number: 075-623-2056
Opening hours:9:30~16:30
Admission: 20 years old and over: 600 yen, 13-19 years old: 100 yen, 12 years old and under: free
Closed: Obon (August 13 - 16), year-end and New Year holidays (December 28 - January 4), and other temporary holidays

Kizakura Kappa Country



Kizakura Kappa Country is Kyoto's first microbrewery restaurant with a corporate museum of sake brewer Kizakura.
Kizakura is famous for its daiginjo and junmai sake, but in fact it also produces many beers, including "Kyoto Mugishu ", "Tanba no Kurozu ", and "Devil's Beer ".
In addition to set menus and a la carte dishes using seasonal ingredients, the restaurant offers local beer and sake. This is the only place where you can compare freshly brewed Kyoto Mugishu and Kizakura! This is a must-visit spot for those who love to drink.
The attached Yellow Cherry Blossom Memorial Museum and Kappa Museum are also highlights. After enjoying a drink, be sure to stop by here as well.

"Facility Information "
Address: 228 Shioyamachi, Fushimi-ku, Kyoto 612-8046
Phone number: 075-611-9919
Business hours:Weekdays...11:30-14:30/17:00-21:30、Turday...11:00-14:30/17:00-21:30 Closed:Year-end and New Year holidays (December 31 and January 1)

Around Yamashina

Yamashina-ku, located slightly away from the downtown area of Kyoto, is full of hidden spots where you can enjoy the scenery of the four seasons. In this issue, we will introduce two of these recommended spots.

Vipassana Hall



Bishamondo Temple was opened in 703 by the monk Gyoki at the behest of Emperor Monmu.
The current main hall was rebuilt in 1666 with the assistance of Tokugawa Ietsuna, and the zushi inside the hall houses the principal image of Bishamonten, a deity said to have been carved by Saicho, the founder of the Tendai sect of Buddhism.
The moving sliding door paintings of Shinkinden by Masunobu Kano, "and the garden ", which is a circular garden in the shape of the back letters of the "heart ", are not to be missed, but Bishamondo is famous for the shiki-hoba leaves that stain the slope leading to the Imperial Gate, which can be seen only in autumn.
Bishamondo is a little far from the center of the city, making it one of the few places in Kyoto where visitors can enjoy the autumn colors.

"Facility Information "
Address: 18, Aju Inariyama-cho, Yamashina-ku, Kyoto 607-8003, Japan
Phone number: 075-581-0328
Hours: March - November ... 9:00 - 17:00, December - February ... 9:00 - 16:30
Admission: Adults - 500 yen, High school students - 400 yen, Elementary school students - 300 yen
Closed: None

Follow the Heart House



Mushin-in Temple is the head temple of the Zentsuji School of Shingon Buddhism. It was founded in 991 by Ninkai, the eighth disciple of Kobo Daishi.
It is said to be the site of the residence of Ono no Komachi, famous for her beauty of the highest order, and there are many remains in the precincts of the shrine associated with Komachi, including "a make-up well "where Komachi is said to have washed her face and "a mound "where Komachi buried love letters given by nobles, including Fukakusa Shosho, who is mentioned in a legend of a hundred nights passing through the shrine.
Also of recent interest is "Gokusai Umezaki-Komachi Ezu ", which depicts Komachi's life in vivid colors.
These sliding door paintings were created in 2009 by a painting unit called Daruma Shoten and can be seen in the Omote Shoin. It has gained popularity as a photojournalistic spot, and many people take pictures of it with their kimonos.

"Facility Information "
Address: 35 Ono-Goryo-cho, Yamashina-ku, Kyoto 607-8257
Phone number: 075-571-0025
Viewing hours:9:00~17:00
The front door is 500 yen for adults, 400 yen for the physically challenged, and 300 yen for junior high school students.
Closed: None

Uji Area

Uji City, a 30-minute train ride from Kyoto City, is famous for Byodoin Temple and tea.
Here are five recommended places in the Uji area.

Equality House



Byodoin Temple was founded in 1052 by the then Sekihaku Fujiwara no Yorimichi, and is one of the most popular tourist spots in the Uji area.
The biggest attraction is "Phoenix Hall ", which is also familiar as the picture on the surface of the 10-yen coin. It was built in 1053 to represent the Pure Land of Ultimate Bliss in this world. It is said that the middle island of the pond on which the Phoenix Hall stands represents the other side of the world, and the opposite side represents this world.
The name "Phoenix Hall" is derived from the fact that the front view looks like a bird with its wings spread and that a phoenix is set on the roof.
From the opposite bank, you can see the face of the National Treasure, the seated statue of Amida Nyorai, through the round window of the building. When you visit, please bring a 10-yen coin and compare it with the real Ho-oh-do.

"Facility Information "
Address: 〒611-0021 Uji City, Uji Renwa 116
Phone number: 0774-21-2861
Viewing hours (in the garden): 8:30-17:30
Admission: Adults - 600 yen, Junior high school students - 400 yen, Elementary school students - 300 yen
Closed: None

Uji Bridge



Uji Bridge is one of the three oldest bridges in Japan, along with Yamazaki Bridge in Kyoto and Karabashi Bridge in Seta, Shiga.
According to "Uji Bridge monument ", located at Hosho-ji Temple Hosho-in in the east part of the bridge, the bridge was originally built in 646 by Doto, a monk of Genkoji Temple in Nara.
The current bridge was replaced in 1996, and features a cypress wood railing decorated with gibojiru (imitation jewels), designed so that the bridge's appearance matches the nature and history of the surrounding area. It is 155.4 meters long and 25 meters wide.
The highlight is "San-no-Ma "which overhangs the upstream side of the Uji River. This is said to be where Toyotomi Hideyoshi once had water drawn for the tea ceremony. "The ceremony of drawing up the famous water "is held during the Uji Tea Festival held every October.

"Facility Information "
Address: 〒611-0021 Uji, Uji City

The Tale of Genji Museum



The Tale of Genji Museum is a public museum that exhibits materials related to "The Tale of Genji "created by the Heian period writer Murasaki Shikibu.
Opened in 1998 in Uji, the main setting of the Tale of Genji, it was later renovated in 2008 and 2018 to mark milestones.
In addition to the existing exhibits such as models and videos, the second renewal introduces hands-on exhibits such as a fitness corner where visitors can move their bodies while watching the story of The Tale of Genji and a corner where they can experience "Genji Kou ", a game in which they can guess the fragrance.
Even those who are unfamiliar with the story can enjoy it because it allows them to appreciate the world of The Tale of Genji using all five senses.
At the museum café/shop attached to the museum, visitors can enjoy sweets and Japanese tea inspired by The Tale of Genji.

"Facility Information "
Address: 〒611-0021 Uji City, Uji Higashiuchi 45-26
Phone number: 0774-39-9300
Opening hours:9:00~17:00
Sightseeing material:Adults...600yen, Children...300yen
Closed: Mondays (or the following day if Monday is a national holiday), Year-end and New Year holidays

Mimurotoji



Mimuroto-ji Temple is the 10th temple of the Saigoku Kannon Sacred Area and is a separate head temple of the Honzan Shugen sect. It is said to have been founded in the Nara period (710-794) by Emperor Kounin.
It is known as one of the most famous flower temples in Kyoto, especially for its hydrangeas.
The hydrangea garden is open from June to July, when it is at its best, and 20,000 hydrangeas of 50 varieties can be seen, including Western hydrangeas, forehead hydrangeas, oak leaf hydrangeas, and the fantastic hydrangea Shichidanka.
In addition to flowers, Mimuroto-ji Temple is also popular for its stone statues of komamabare (guardian rabbits) and komainabake (guardian snakes) in front of the main hall. The guardian rabbit is holding a large ball, and it is said that if you can stand the egg-shaped stone inside on the ball, your wish will come true, while the guardian snake is said to bring you good fortune if you touch it.

"Facility Information "
Address: 〒611-0013 Uji City, 〒21 Shiga Valley, Minatochi Road
Phone number: 0774-21-2067
Hours: April-October ... 8:30-16:30, November-March ... 8:30-16:00
The front of the kanban:Adults...500yen, small people...300yen
Adults: 1,000 yen, children: 500 yen from February 18 to July 17 and during November.
Closed: Obon (August 13-15), year-end (December 29-31)
*Weather warnings are in effect, the worship service is cancelled.

Nakamura Tokichi Honten



Nakamura Tokichi Honten is a long-established tea merchant located a two-minute walk from Uji Station.
Founded in 1854, the café space was opened in 2001, and since then it has become a popular spot with lines forming every day.
Popular menu items are the limited edition sweets available only at the Uji Main Store: "Maruto Parfait "and "Namaicha Zerii ". Both are Kyoto-style Japanese sweets in a bamboo tube, and are very popular for their fine matcha flavor.
The café space, which was converted from a former tea factory built in the Taisho era (1912-1926), still retains the original appearance of the factory, with chalk marks left on the pillars during tea production and blackened areas from soot produced during hojicha production.

"Facility Information "
Address: 1-10 Uji, Uji, Kyoto, 611-0021, Japan
Phone number: 0774-22-7800
Business hours: 10:00-17:30
Closed: Please check the official website

Yawata Area

Located in the southwestern part of Kyoto, Yawata City is an area with many historical buildings, including Ishimizu Hachiman Shrine, and rich natural spots such as the Yodogawa River Park back-watershed bank area.
The area is conveniently located and easily accessible from central cities such as Osaka and Kyoto. Here are two recommended spots in the Yawata area.

Ishimizu Hachiman Shrine



Ishikiyo Hachimangu Shrine is one of the three major Hachimangu shrines in Japan, along with Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine in Kanagawa Prefecture and Hakozaki Shrine in Fukuoka Prefecture, and is a representative tourist spot in Yawata City.
According to the shrine legend, the Usa Hachiman was originally invoked from Oita in 859 for the protection of the royal castle.
The deities are Emperor Ojin, Hime-Ookami (Great Goddess of the West), and Empress Jingu. The deity is collectively called Hachiman-daijin-sama, and has long been worshipped as a deity of national protection, protection from bad luck, and prayers for victory.
The shrine pavilions enshrining the deities were rebuilt by Tokugawa Iemitsu in 1634 and are designated as national treasures.
Ishimizu Hachimangu Shrine is also famous for the bamboo used by the inventor Edison to improve the incandescent light bulb. There is an Edison monument on the shrine grounds, and the Edison Birthday Festival is held on February 11.

"Facility Information "
Address: 〒614-8588 Yawata City, Yawata Takabo 30
Phone number: 075-981-3001
Time:6:00~18:00
Admission: Free
*Admission to the shrine is charged.
Closed: None

monodenant



Dangen-an is a temple of the Myoshinji school of the Rinzai sect, located about 10 minutes by car from Ishimizu Hachiman-gu Shrine.
Although the date of its founding is not known, existing records indicate that it was opened in the early Edo period by monk Dangden.
This temple is known as "Scribble Temple ". The main feature of this temple is that instead of ema (votive picture tablet), you can write your wishes on the white wall of the Daikoku-do hall.
This prayer method was started by the priest about 70 years ago, when Daikoku-do was rebuilt, in order to grant the wishes of those who helped with the rebuilding of the temple.
The white walls are repainted every year on New Year's Eve, and just after the new year, you can write your wishes in the space of your choice.
The Dangen-an is generally open for viewing only on Saturdays and Sundays. If you plan to visit on weekdays, please do not forget to make a reservation in advance.

"Facility Information "
Address: 〒614-8013 Yawata City, Yawata Yoshinogaki 33
Phone number: 075-981-2307
Opening hours: 9:00-15:00
Entrance fee: 100 yen
*Prayer fee is 300 yen.
Closed: Weekdays
Reservations required for viewing.

Kyotanabe/Kizugawa Area

The Kyotanabe/Kizugawa area is located in the central part of the Kinki region. The area is also within easy reach of central Nara, making it a great place to stop by if you plan to visit Kyoto or Nara.
Here are three recommended places in the Kyotanabe/Kizugawa area.

Yuyen-an (Iseoji Temple)



Shoenan is a temple associated with Soujun Ikkyu, nicknamed Ikkyu-san.
The original name of the temple was Myosho-ji, but in the mid Muromachi period (1336-1573), Zen master Ikkyu rebuilt the hall in memory of his former master, and named it "and Shoun-an "to express his gratitude to him.
Since then, the temple has been called Shouonan, but it is also known as Ikkyu-ji because the Zen master spent his last years here.
In the hojo, visitors can see a wooden statue of Zen master Ikkyu Zenji, who is said to have planted the hair and beard of a Zen master, and fusuma paintings (reproductions) by Kano Tanyu, who is known for his work on the Nijo Castle wall paintings and Myoshinji Temple's Dragon and Cloud paintings.
The garden surrounding the hojo is designated as a national place of scenic beauty, and visitors can enjoy different views in the south, east, and north gardens.

"Facility Information "
Address: 102, Mokuzurinouchi, Kyotanabe City, 610-0341, Japan
Phone number: 0774-62-0193
Hours: 9:00-17:00
The front door material:Adults (junior high school students and above)...500yen, small people...250yen
Closed: None

Chinese temple dedicated to Cancer (3rd zodiacal sign)



Kanimanji Temple is a temple of the Chizan sect of Shingon Buddhism located in Kizugawa City. It is famous as the setting of "Kani-no-Onnai", which is featured in "Konjaku Monogatari "and "Kokin Shokumonshu ".
In the story of the crab's repayment, a daughter who believes in the Kannon sangha rescues a crab that is about to be eaten, and in order to repay the favor, the crab takes it upon itself to kill a giant snake that is trying to woo the daughter. In the main hall, visitors can listen to the story of the crab's repayment in detail.
In honor of the crab's repayment, the temple grounds are filled with crab-related items. Crab sculptures and crab artwork made by neighborhood children can be seen everywhere.
The principal image is a seated Shakyamuni Buddha, a national treasure. It is a large statue of Buddha, 2.4 meters high, and is called the "Crab-substitute Kannon," or "Kannon the Goddess of Mercy" and is highly revered.

"Facility Information "
Address: 36 Aida-hama, Yamashiro-cho, Kizugawa City, 〒619-0201
Phone number: 0774-86-2577
Hours: 8:00-16:00
Admission: Free
There is a fee to see the main hall.
Closed: None

Joruriji Temple



Joruri-ji Temple is a temple of the Shingon Ritsu sect, located just on the border of Kyoto and Nara prefectures.
It is believed to have been founded around the 8th century, but details of when and by whom are not known. According to one theory, it was opened by Gyoki at the behest of Emperor Shomu during the Nara period (710-794).
Although different from Byodoin Temple in Uji, Joruridera Temple also features a temple layout that recreates the Pure Land of Ultimate Bliss. Passing through the gate, visitors will see a large pond, the three-story pagoda to the east, and the main hall to the west.
The main hall enshrining nine Amida Nyorai statues is the main attraction. It is said that during the Heian period there were about 30 halls enshrining the nine Amida Nyorai statues, mainly in Kyoto, but Joruridera is the only one still in existence.

"Facility Information "
Address: 〒619-1135 40 Nishi Kozaba, Kamo-cho, Kizugawa City
Phone number: 0774-76-2390
Hours: March - November ... 9:00 - 17:00, December - February ... 10:00 - 16:00
Entrance fee: 400 yen
Closed: None

Amanohashidate Area

The last two spots in the Amanohashidate area in northern Kyoto are recommended.
Although the area is far from the center of Kyoto, it is full of nature and is worth seeing, so if you are planning to visit Kyoto, please check out this area as well.

Amanohashidate (heavenly musicians and protectors of Buddhism)



Amanohashidate is a sandbar at the mouth of the bay that separates Miyazu Bay on the Sea of Japan in northern Kyoto Prefecture and the Aso Sea on the inland sea from north to south.
Amanohashidate is one of the three most scenic spots in Japan, along with Matsushima in Miyagi and Miyajima in Hiroshima. It is also known for the waka poem by Shoshikibu Uesamurai, "Oeyama, Ikuno no Michi no Distant, Amanohashidate, ".
The 6,700 pine trees growing on the long and narrow terrain, 3.6 meters long and 20 to 170 meters wide, were not planted by human hands, but most of them grew naturally.
Most photos show the view from the observation deck, but it is possible to actually walk on the beach, enjoy swimming, and even take a boat ride to see the sights. It is a spot where visitors can enjoy nature in a variety of ways.

"Facility information "*Amanohashidate Tourist Association
Address: 314-2, Bunju, Miyazu, Kyoto 626-0001, Japan
Phone number: 0772-22-8030
Hours: 9:00-18:00

Amanohashidate Viewland



Amanohashidate Viewland is a leisure facility that opened in 1750. Located on top of Mt. Bunshuzan, it is well known as a spot with a spectacular view of Amanohashidate from the south.
There are several view spots in the park, and the "crotch peeking platform "is especially famous for opening your legs and looking at Amanohashidate upside down from under your crotch.
The view from here is called "Hiryu-kan "because the sky and the earth are upside down and it looks like a dragon soaring to the sky.
In addition, the observation deck, extending 250 meters and up to 8.5 meters high, "Hiryonggwan Corridor ", offers a 360-degree panoramic view of the city.
There are many attractions such as a Ferris wheel and cycle cars that offer a panoramic view of Amanohashidate. This is a spot that can be enjoyed by everyone from small children to the elderly.

"Facility Information "
Address: 〒626-0001 Miyazu City, Aza-Bunju 437
Phone number: 0772-22-5304
Hours of operation: Varies depending on the period of the year
Admission material:Adults...850yen, small people...450yen
Closed: None

summary

Kyoto is home to many spots that have left their mark on history. Since the cherry blossom and autumn foliage seasons are crowded with tourists, it is recommended that you make a firm schedule to visit the sightseeing spots during the peak season.
Also, many shrines and temples have shorter opening hours depending on the time of year, so please be careful if you are visiting in winter. We hope you enjoy your sightseeing in Kyoto while referring to the spots we have introduced here.

Author of this article

Recommended articles